When I asked for authors to interview, the lovely Susie reached out to me and I was super happy that she wanted to. But then I found out some very cool information that I can’t wait to share with all of you. I won’t spoil it for you, so read on and find out the special secret that our newest author interviewed offers besides their own books.
1. What sparked your interest in writing?
I have always had an interest in writing. I grew up in an area that I always felt was magical and was full of interesting things that just fueled my imagination.
2. Has anyone in your life inspired you to write?
I cannot say that one person inspired me to write. A great many experiences, people, places, and things have been my inspiration.
3. When did you decide to publish?
I decided it was time to publish my stories after my children were grown and out of the house. I was always writing while my children played sports, or attended dance classes, because it freed up my time while waiting.
4. Are you an Indie Author or Traditional Author? Why did you choose the path you did?
I am an Indie Author, but I have several works in the process that I have been encouraged to submit to Traditional Publishing houses. I work with a kind of hybrid publishing company that specializes in children’s books and fiction written by medical professionals. I met the owner as I was trying to figure out how to get my writing out in the world, and it was a good fit. It’s been a great way to learn about the entire publishing process.
5. What is your first published book?
My first published book is called ‘Too Much Hopscotch’. It was taken from one of my childhood pastimes of playing hopscotch. A mural of this title is now depicted in several terminals inside of Boston’s Logan Airport in Boston Massachusetts.
6. Are you happy with how your books are coming out? Would you change anything?
I am very pleased with how all 5 of my titles came out and the people I worked with to help create these works were such a pleasure to work with and made the experience a wonderful journey. I wouldn’t change a thing.
7. Will you continue to publish books for many years to come?
I am fired up and ready to continue to publish, write and create interesting and entertaining stories for many years to come.
8. What genres inspire you to write?
I enjoy writing children’s stories, but I have given myself a challenge to produce within several genres. I have started works in YA, Romance and SciFi.
9. What is your favorite genre to write? What is your least favorite genre to write?
I don’t have a favorite, but I am very comfortable in writing children’s stories and adult fiction. I have not found a least favorite so far.
10. What challenges have you faced publishing?
I have not faced many challenges. I have always found individuals that are more than willing to step in and help, and I am a big believer in paying it forward and helping other writers in any way I can.
11. What challenges have you faced in writing?
Time. Time to write, explore and express all the interesting and wonderful things and adventures that are manifested in my mind.
12. Where do your ideas for your books come from? Where do you keep those ideas?
All my ideas come from some life event triggering a story. I keep them all in notes on my phone or written down in a notebook.
13. Are you also a bookworm and does reading other works help inspire your own writing?
No, I’m not really a bookworm. I would say that JRR Tolkien is one of the authors most inspiring to me.
14. Do you have a website where we can follow you?
Yes, my website is Susiesstories.com
15. What is the link for your books so others may look and possibly purchase them from?
All five of my books can be found on Amazon, Barnes and Nobles, and SusiesStories.com.
16. How long have you owned a bookstore?
Our bookstore is going into its third season in Rockport MA. Cape Ann Massachusetts is a beautiful coastal location and we love it.
17. Does your bookstore have a website? What is it? Can people order books from your bookstore online?
The bookstore website can be accessed through the SusiesStories.com website, which contains links to the e-commerce site. People can also shop on our Facebook page, SusiesBookStore.
18. Are you open for business during the pandemic?
We are open during the pandemic and being very careful in following all regulations in order to keep all of our customers safe.
I think it would be awesome to own a bookstore that holds shelves full of authors that are traditionally published, hybrid published, and indie published. I think Susie has an amazing job as a bookstore owner and as an author, and I hope her and hers the best in the adventures in owning the bookstore, and an amazing life as an author. I hope you will take the time to check out both her bookstore online or in person if you are in the area her bookstore is located and her books on her website, on amazon, or at Barnes and Nobles. Thank you again, Susie, for doing this interview with me. I found it fascinating and a lot of fun finding out more about you, your books, your life, and your bookstore.